Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ Signup ]
[ Forgot password? ]

Members: 3297
Newest member: SpyBus
Poll

I would like a mobile version of the FMBC site, even if it meant losing ALL data and starting over.

Yes, it is uber important.

No, leave it as is please.

I am on the fence.

This poll is restricted to members only

Votes: 138
Previous polls
Members: 0

Click To Show - Guests: 21

Last Seen

Kim & Feli.. Thu 07:17
charliec Thu 07:03
markdearing Thu 06:58
TeamSpatula Thu 06:54
Collie Thu 05:58

Newest Members

SpyBus Tue 08:02
TheF0oL Mon 08:21
easywind1975 Sun 20:35
Chadwoody1 Sun 08:39
Lasher_65 Thu 21:53
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September 2017
Entries this month: 4

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1011121314**
1718192021*23
24252627*2930
Upcoming Events
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

bullet Merkman
04 Sep : 04:33PM
Let me know.
Merkman
bullet Merkman
04 Sep : 04:32PM
I have a full set of double cab gates with latches
bullet shaun
25 Aug : 11:48AM
bullet bumblebee
23 Jul : 05:05PM
bullet shaun
02 Jul : 08:44PM
bullet r_jtimmons
30 Jun : 08:22PM
Just starting to restore a 1963 VW double cab pickup and need the 3 drop gates for the bed. If you can help please e-mail. Thanks for everyone help in the past and the future
bullet hippieman88
19 Jun : 08:39AM
Hey everyone. I have a 97 lifted jeep wrangler for trade that has 14,000 invested in it. Been looking to get back into a westy since I sold my 76 reluctantly. Anyone interested pm me. I'll send pictures and all the details if interested. Thanks everyone!
bullet Bronge
04 May : 08:28PM
Westy, SUBARU ENGINE, AUTOMATIC transmission for sale. 1984, very good interior, exterior, and mechanical condition. We've had so much fun, and I'm not crawling back out of the rabbit hole, but I'm working on a bigger camper. Get in touch or Charlotte CL for more details. Asking $19500 obo.
bullet cenres
24 Apr : 01:57PM
I have 2 "Westys", same year, same color scheme, 1 full camper and a weekender.
I am selling the weekender for $6000

or use as downpayment on a VWsynchro-camper (4x4).

I originally bought the weekender for parts for my camper, but then it kept running so well after i gave it new cylinder heads, new steering fluid pump, shocks.....
bullet Elmer
10 Apr : 08:05AM
Vanagon engine, 1.9, wasserboxer for sale with components, AC comp, PS Pump, Electrical, Alternator, starter, all pulled from my 1984 Westy

Member's Birthdays:
One birthday today, congratulations!
Birthday Cake
darlene_87wolfs

Next birthdays
Wadbus 9 23
Nellys68 9 24
gadawg56 9 26

Link to us
Link to us
In Steve (Killian)'s words FMBC My alternative family of choice
Club Supporter
http://www.hippymotorsusa.com/

Forums
Full Moon Bus Club :: Forums :: Tech Talk :: Tech Questions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
64 bus steering box.
Moderators: TN Jed, docric, sweetbus, Tom and Phaedra, Collie
Author Post
aircooledbusses
Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:48AM

Registered Member #329

to fix my horn a while back, I pulled a new wire up through the horn button by way of the old ground wire. I was putting some GL4 80/90 gear oil and it started dripping right out the hole that the wire goes in. This is bad right? what is the fix? is there a grommet in production, or do I just RTV it?

have also heard of packing the box with grease instead of oil. Any thoughts on this?

a point is that which has no part - Euclid of Alexandria
mactraveler
Thu Jun 07 2012, 07:05PM
Registered Member #499

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124767
Try this one. I also have a 64 bus but no leaks yet. (crossing fingers)

64 Kombi-on the road
66 Standard-up on blocks
69 Campmobile-on the road
aircooledbusses
Thu Jun 07 2012, 09:57PM

Registered Member #329

above is the picture from the forum. I am not so concerned with the putman arm and the drag link to get to the seal. it is the small squarish cover (on the bottom of the steering box) with the four bolts holding it in place. Notice his has no wire coming through that cover. Mine (photo below) does have a hole in it with a wire coming through. I am assuming that is the ground for the horn. Now I did pull a different wire through it grounding my horn a while back. perhaps there was a rubber seal that let the wire pass but not the oil.

So- do I drop that cover and seal up the hole with some sort of rubber boot? Or just clean it up real good and rtv the snot out of it? I am thinking, and I know mark will like this, of getting another rubber stopper and threading the horn wire through it, inserting it into the cover to stop the leaking oil.

help me out with this- what are your thoughts and is the wire suposed to be coming out this hole. I think it is but don't know for sure.

And yes, my steering box is filled with GL4 80/90 weight oil- not grease.

mactraveler
Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:40PM
Registered Member #499

I looked at my 64 tonight and my box looks like this one with only 2 bolts in the bottom.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=329350
But when I looked at my other bus which is a 66 it had the four bolt flange like yours. I know that wire should come out of the center of that cap though. I am pretty sure if you take the cap off there will be a tube inside and your wire runs in that. Have you taken the cap off yet to see inside? From what I have heard VW changed to grease in 67. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510816&highlight=steering+box+hole
I hope this helps but a little RTV won't hurt.

64 Kombi-on the road
66 Standard-up on blocks
69 Campmobile-on the road
aircooledbusses
Fri Jun 08 2012, 02:59PM

Registered Member #329

no, I didnt take the cap, cover off yet, but I am about to. So from the photos (thanks by the way) the wire runs through the tube and out of the cover.

I have also heard that grease just sloshes away from the gears. some hybred grease/oil might work.

I will post pics. thanks again, I just needed a little encouragement to get started.

update: got distracted today, will probably start tonight or saturday

aircooledbusses
Sat Jun 09 2012, 12:47PM

Registered Member #329

well, when I dropped the cover a good amount of oil came out. So that is a good thing! The tube must be above the oil line and when the oil got above the oil, it leaked and scared me a bit. Must remember to add oil slowly.

put it all back together and oiled up. I will be looking for the time, space, and tools to complete the other big seal that is leaking. Not a bad to do though, I learned that my steering box still has oil - just leaking slowly. will keep an eye on it till I can get it fixed properly.

going to try to post a short video of the horn working.

aircooledbusses
Sat Jun 09 2012, 02:07PM

Registered Member #329

video0002.mp3

alright,I know it is dirty, clunky, and short- but I took it on a phone. I bet the bus never thought it would see this technology. to think of how many busses have past is amazing.

anyway. I think a rebuild is in order- notice the back and forth clunky that really shouldn't be there.

and the horn working just for fun!!

video0001.mp3

aircooledbusses
Sun Jun 10 2012, 07:31AM

Registered Member #329

the videos are not video. they are just sound files. can we post videos in the forum?

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF